“Simply put, we’ve built Skyya to be the PR and marketing agency we always knew was possible. An agency we can be proud of and a team of people you’ll be proud to call your partner, your team, your friends.”
• Susan Donahue, Skyya Managing Partner
Building Revenues and a Global Brand...with Style
Bluelounge is a product design studio located in Los Angeles and Jakarta, Indonesia. In May 2010, Bluelounge engaged Skyya to market the company’s growing portfolio of consumer electronics products, accessories, and furniture, which are designed to simplify and organize consumers’ home/office and workspace environments.
Bluelounge had a modest following of loyal consumers and gadget bloggers, but needed to broaden its corporate profile to compete with established product design firms, consumer electronics companies, and the growing number of third-party Apple product and accessory companies.
Our challenge was to significantly increase our core press audience to include influencers in the design community, as well as digital lifestyle press, CE press, top-tier technology and gadget blogs, and national business and technology press in order to increase Bluelounge’s market traction and retail footprint.
Because Bluelounge had a portfolio of under-marketed products, Skyya needed to “take one-step back before marketing two-steps forward,” followed by immediately planning for successive new product introductions, the first in a series of new product introductions Skyya would lead.
The Skyya Approach:
After evaluating Bluelounge’s product line, product development roadmap, business goals and event schedule, Skyya quickly developed an aggressive PR program, that was equal parts rapid response, short and long-term brand-building, creative and social media. By leveraging the agency’s longstanding press relationships, the team focused on short-term incumbent product buzz to elevate Bluelounge’s brand perception among the design press, Apple press, CE press and product reviewers.
Bluelounge’s design philosophy is to set a new standard in modern products that simplify and organize our daily lives. To better demonstrate that philosophy, Skyya initiated a heavy proactive pitching and solicitation campaign for feature articles, product reviews, and product round-ups coupled with editorial calendar pitching.
The plan also included strategies for social media marketing and sales including Twitter promotions with O, The Oprah Winfrey Magazine, and WIRED Magazine, best-practice product launches, creative news campaigns, and connecting to key shopping seasons including Back to School, Holiday Gift Guides, Dads and Grads, Mother’s Day, Black Friday and Cyber Monday – all aimed at increasing Bluelounge’s popularity and product utility among a number disparate demographics and unreached customer segments.
Skyya also developed and implemented the company’s new positioning from one-off product introductions to “design-forward home office accessories” and redefining the “cable management category.”
Skyya has delivered a successful communications strategy for Bluelounge by significantly increasing the quality, quantity, and recurrence of press coverage for the company and establishing Bluelounge as an innovative product design company and market leader in the cable management and home office accessory categories.
Key Results Include:
- In the first three months Skyya successfully launched two new products including CableClip and the CableBox Mini, and at CES 2011 launched two additional products – StudioDesk XL and Nest
- The Skyya team secured more than 100 articles from our proactive pitches, product launches, product reviews and news campaigns including: Men’s Health, Departures Magazine (an AMEX card member magazine), DWELL Magazine, Men’s Journal, InStyle Magazine, O, The Oprah Winfrey Magazine, Macgasm, iLounge® + Mac, GigaOm, Daily Candy, TechCrunch, WIRED Magazine, Janko, Mashable, Cult of Mac, Core77, Cool Hunting, Everyday with Rachael Ray, MSNBC, Daily Candy “Shop Talk” Gadgetmac, DVICE, Switched, The Wall Street Journal, DIY, Uncrate, CNET, Gizmodo, Unplggd|Apartment Therapy, Fast Company, PC Magazine, The Mac Feed, Playstation Magazine, Co.Design, Engadget, GearDiary, SWITCHED, PopSugar, All About Apple, Mobile Magazine, Mashable, and MarthaStewartLiving.com.
- Skyya launched StudioDesk XL, a second and larger-sized version of the StudioDesk furniture line, in January at CES 2011, which resulted in placement in Bluelounge’s #1 design publication, along with key trades including DWELL Magazine, Co.Design, Men’s Health, Unplggd|Apartment Therapy, and iLounge.
- National TV broadcast coverage on The Nate Berkus Show; The Price is Right, TBS’ Movie & Makeover, FOX News, and The TODAY Show.
- Skyya secured print coverage in O, the Oprah Winfrey Magazine in the coveted “O List” section. We ran aconcurrent promotional campaign targeting the magazine’s print subscriber base, which was the most successful print coverage to-date in terms of direct conversions.
- O, The Oprah Magazine also partners with flash sales site www.Ideeli.com to host a monthly “O Shop” to increase in-book presence online. Skyya managed an “O Shop” for Bluelounge as a part of our integrated Oprah campaign, which was the company’s most successful online sales program. See: the “O Shop” where Bluelounge was featured to support the March 2011 issue of the magazine. The campaign was so successful, Ideeli is planning another Bluelounge sale.
- On May 27, 2009, Skyya’s first product launch – the CableDrop – was the most successful campaign that year, with the single most website visits in one day.
- Skyya’s Daily Candy “Daily Deal” promotion for the CableBox Mini on July 22, 2010 was the company’s most successful campaign in 2010, with the most visits in one day, yielding hundreds of new sales.
- In March 2011, Skyya’s Daily Candy “Daily Deal” campaign went viral which resulted in significant sell-through.
- Ongoing Bluelounge Twitter Coupons, Giveaways and Facebook promotions.
- Numerous Twitter Coupons, Giveaways and partnership with O, The Oprah Magazine and WIRED Magazine.
- Participation at leading industry events including the Dwell on Design 2010 Exhibition in June at the Los Angeles Convention Center, the California Design Biennial at the Pasadena Museum of California Art, and the WIRED 2010 Holiday Store in NYC.
For more information please visit www.bluelounge.com.